After I disabled IPv6 on my network interface in Server 2008 R2 the server hangs at “Applying Computer Settings”.
If you want to enable the Interface again you have to perform the following registery change:
1. Open regedit on a different computer and connect with regedit to the Windows Server 2008.
2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\
3. Open the register entry: DisabledComponents
4. Change the DisabledComponents value to ffffffff
When DisabledComponents is not available you have to create it
1. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) entry
2. Name it: DisabledComponents
3. Enter the value as ffffffff
This should do the trick, when you reboot the Server it won’t get stuck on Applying Computer Settings anymore.