Nagios is the industry-standard in IT infrastructure monitoring.
1. apt-get install nagios*
Do not forget the asterisk
2. Afer the following message
After this operation, 421 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Hit Y and continue the installation.
5. Next you will get a question about a LDAP administrator, I left this blank and continued the installation.
6. Enter a Nagios Web administration password
* Wait a few minutes while the installation continues*
9. The debian installation I used was fresh so it had no pre-configured database.
If everything went well the installation will be finished now.
You should be able to visit the nagios web interface through:
Default username: nagiosadmin
Password: “The one you set during the installation”